Re:Gas, Alky, and Nitro compression ratios

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Gas, Alky, and Nitro compression ratios
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:56:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/2000 6:08:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rick@rbmotorsports.com writes:

<< The second part of this question, what reduction in compression is
necessary
 to use NitroMethane in this proposed fuel.  I know the learning curve is
 quite steep and do not plan on doing this for 2001, but my daddy was mixing
 methanol and nitro back in the 30's with midgets (cars, not people) and I
 sure wouldnt mind following in his footsteps...he is still my hero.

 Gentlemen (and ladies) the floor is open  :=D

Rick,
    My Ardun hemi runs 12.5:1 pistons on gas and nitro and is pretty happy
with it. We run up to 80% in the dragster and 55-60% in the LSR car. I could
probably stand a little more CR on gas, say up to 13.5 or 14:1.
    On alky the most I've run is 17.5:1 and the motor was very happy. I
believe I could have run a point or two more.
    The 4:71 supercharged motor has 8:1 pistons so as to build whatever
compression I want for the various fuels with pulleys. Some of the modern
engine (multiple main bearings) guys start out with 10:1 or 11:1 static CR on
their blown engines.................Ardun Doug King