Tipover sensor question

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tipover sensor question
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:21:07 -0700
Two questions really.

1)  The motorcycle streamliner rules give 2 different angles for the tipover
sensor to fire the parachute depending on whether it is an open tail or closed
tail.  Why the difference?  It doesn't really matter, I'm just wondering.

2)  Is the angle a maximum or minimum?  Is there a tolerance band?  Does it
just have to look well made and functional and that's good enough?  I have a
simple little pendulum that trips air valves.  It works great, but is time
consuming to adjust for angle, so I'd rather have it set right before I hit
tech or the track.

Thanks,
Simon Smith

O.K.  One more question.  Anyone ever play with radar guns?  We had a borrowed
state patrol gun that wouldn't go over 184.  The bike was doing different top
speeds depending on launch, rider position etc., but the gun always said 184.
Any ideas?  We're guessing the bike was somewhat over 200 but who knows?