Re: Ford 9" / posi / floating, etc.

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: Ford 9" / posi / floating, etc.
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:17:31 -0700
Ed,List,
 I agree that the GM rear uses less horsepower than the Ford 9". The reason
is also what makes the ford rear the choice of drag racers. The GM rear is a
spiral bevel while the Ford 9" is a deep hypoid rear which has more tooth
contact between the ring and pinion. More contact area means more strength
and more wiping action which equals more friction. For what it's worth, Ford
no longer services the 2.47 to 1  ring and pinion for the 9" but many are
available in late 70's and early 80's full size Ford and Mercury cars. Just
another amateur comment.
Howard