Re: Fatigue

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Fatigue
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:10:17 -0600
Howdy,
          I read this email twice and agree with it . I run 1500 miles from
Madison WI. and spend around 10 hours behind the wheel for three days, this
not including the three or four weeks of prep work to make sure that the
trailer is ready, (bearings, tires, brakes and lights) the tow truck is
ready, (trying to keep a 40 year old engine ((348 chevy)) in top form and a
25 year old truck) the race car is ready, all the "stuff" that may be
needed for the race is ready and sorted out and packed, the house is ready
to be left for an extended time, dog in kennel, papers and mail stopped
etc. then I get to set up the pit, sort (again!) all the stuff that was
packed, tech the car, (I always seem to be worried that the tech gods will
find something that will disqualify the car), then get in line, get in the
car and drive, then try to figure out why I: A. broke, B. didn't run fast,
C. ran fast but not fast enough, D. ran fast and qualified (more worries,
exhilarating though it is)
         So far I have been lucky in that I have had someone to help when I
get to the Salt (either a lady friend, or Ernie Sanchez. Ernie was a
spectator walking by my pit in 1996, and saw me struggling with a warped
cylinder head and stopped and lent a hand, for the rest of the day! then
the next couple of days when he talked his wife Sally into staying for
those extra days to help me out. And has been coming out to the Salt as my
pit crew ever since. Without his help, I would not have been able to set
the records or even make the runs that I have. For this I am truly grateful.
         Anyway, fatigue is insidious, it creeps up on your decision making
processes, and warps your judgement. This can make for dangerous
conditions, especially when stacked up over time. It used to be a nights
sleep would revive me, but I have found that I need at least a couple of
days to recover from an extended "thrash" such as the above. Last year I
had planned on being at the Curve for the Salt Talks Tuesday evening.
Around 5:30 I was absolutely wrung out, and had to hit the motel. Needless
to say, I missed the evenings meeting. At least this time the fatigue did
not affect a critical decision, only causing me to miss an important meeting.