Re: Freeze/Welch plugs

To: Jim Dincau <jdincau@qnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Freeze/Welch plugs
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:57:03 -0800 (PST)
"Bout three years ago I had a big block Mopar
drag car.  I wasn't paying attention when I put
on pullys and ended up with a super high speed
water pump that must have been putting out 1000
PSI (ha ha), but it was a lot.  It kept blowing
freeze plugs right out of the block.  I finally
used the rubber expanding types smeared in JB
Weld.  Never blew another one out.  I did correct
the pully ratio a month later and got the
pressure back within reason too.  It was stupid
mistake and a good lesson. I now swear by those
rubber freeze plugs (and JB Weld).

--- Jim Dincau <jdincau@qnet.com> wrote:
> Hi all you iron stock blockers out there.
>       Do we still strap across the plugs to
> keep them from failing
> catastrophically or has a new idea come along?
> Jim in Palmdale, where it didn't rain a drop

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *
*         # 729           *