Re: Frozen Brake Drum Question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen Brake Drum Question
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:37:06 EST
In a message dated 12/19/2000 11:25:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<< Here's a really basic question.  I've got an old
 Dodge out back and want to move it.  I find that
 the brake shoes are frozen to the drums.  Is the
 best solution to heat the drums with torch until
 they come loose, or is there another trick that I
 haven't heard of?  I've already backed off all
 the adjusters, etc.

Dick,
    Heat the drums with an oxy-acetylene torch and rap them with a hammer.
Also try pushing or towing the truck backwards so the brakes don't self
energize. I don't know if squirting diesel between the lining and the drum
would help, but you might try it.
                                            Ardun Doug