Re: Ballast & Handling, Rules & BUCKS

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, kturk@ala.net, americanpartnerinrussia@starpower.net,
Subject: Re: Ballast & Handling, Rules & BUCKS
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:48:00 EST
      Dick, The intermediate classes have to draw the line on this aerodynamic
stuff somewhere ...... that' s what the class rules are for ...... we would
have
liked to have run a full belly pan, a radically chopped top, and a  MUCH
swoopier nose on our car ...... but then it would no longer be an ALTERED
and would run as a  COMP COUPE  !   You choose a class and stick by
the rules for that class .  As it was we pushed the rules to the limit on the
fiberglass nose of our Firebird ..... but it IS legal .  We knew a nose like
Burkland had on that fabulous B210 comp coupe that the Websters now
own would be a big advantage to slicing thru the air ...... but you CANNOT
just hang it on your car because it will gain speed for you  ......
the RULES dictate what you can alter or modify .  If you feel the rules
are holding your car back, I guess all we can do is MOVE UP to a
FASTER class. I think every competitor can think of dozens of ways to
make his car faster with changes to the body / engine / fuel / addition
of turbo(s)or blower ...... so we have these excellent rules to make it
FAIR  WITHIN  A  CLASS .  The only inequity then among competitors
becomes the amount of smart engineering and MONEY you can
throw into your car versus the other guy, and  MONEY can buy
BOTH the smart engineering and ALL the right go fast goodies and high
dollar powerhouses and chassis science and beautiful bodies that are
required if you want to consistently run at the top of the heap .
CUBIC  MONEY can often kick the stuffings out of cubic inches
when you want to go FAST .  Just something that's more obvious to me
nowadays then when racing came with a lot of hard work and a MUCH
lower price tag .  Still a lot of hard work but deep pockets sure do
allow a lot of subcontracting on your wheels if you choose to do it
that way .  Some guys do not do a whole lot of building their racecar.
      I would guesstimate that at most any lsr event something like
85 to 98 or 99 % of all the spectators would dearly love to be sitting
in that driver's seat in the particular car(s) they admire .......
                  That might even be 100 %  .......
        Bruce in sunny sub freezing New England
who wouldn' t be at this computer now if I had heat in my garage !
" Speed Costs Money..... HOW  FAST Do YOU Want To Go ? "
    .....sign over the door to Banjo Matthew ' s  Speed Shop