Re: Rear Engine T's

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Engine T's
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:55:54 EST
In a message dated 01/03/2001 12:38:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
landspeedracer@email.msn.com writes:

<< Just mandate a minimum wheel base (maybe 144" or so). Wings are already
 allowed in /MR so I dont think you would have the kinds of problems they did
 over 40 years ago.

Group,
    I agree with John. If anybody doesn't think that driver placement is
important, Fred Larsen's 300mph+ streamliner is about a 90"wb, as is the
RedHead. Both are "slingshot" style with the driver sitting aft of the rear
wheels. Can you imagine a   90"wb rear engine car going 300mph? The only one
that comes to mind is the Markley Bros. DeSoto powered tank that went 290+ in
the 60's. I believe that the wb was right around 100". The driver was sitting
with his feet against the front axle.
                                                Ardun Doug King