Motorcycle Front-End Geometry

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motorcycle Front-End Geometry
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:43:43 -0800
I'm finally ready to start building my electric LSR bike. Here's what I've
got planned so far:

Hossack-style front end, 1.5" travel:
http://www.eurospares.com/tfoale/mmjpg/tfbmw.jpg
solid rear end
3.5x17 front wheel, with a 120/60ZR17 tire
4.5x18 rear wheel, with a 160/60ZR18 tire
wheelbase around 70" (bike needs to fit on my 4x8 trailer)
weight without rider about 600 lbs, with rider around 760 lbs.
Forklift motor
CVT snowmobile transmission
270 lbs AGM batteries, 120 volts

Speed should be in the 150 to 175 mph range? (well, ya gotta have a goal,
right?)

I was wondering if anyone on the list has any thoughts about front-end
geometry. I'm thinking of using a front rake around 40 to 45 degrees, and
about 8 to 10 inches of trail. That's what a guy that builds dragbike
frames recommended to me.

Any comments or questions would be appreciated. I've done some drag racing
with electric bikes in the past, but this LSR stuff is pretty new to me.
Mainly looking for tips on how to build a bike for straight-line stability
at El Mirage and Bonneville.

BTW, only 115 days until El Mirage.

Henry Deaton
SF, CA