Re: 42 Volt Systems and Lore - - - a little More !

To: kmb2@humboldt.edu, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 42 Volt Systems and Lore - - - a little More !
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:53:50 EST
      Most interesting, Ken ..... and in those days, the sailors in the
British
Navy were allowed to have their wives and girlfriends on board the  " Ships
of The Line "..... the main warships ..... when back in homeport .  These
women were allowed to eat, sleep, and carouse, right there on the gun
decks ..... often right between the cannon ( NO "s" on plural of cannon ).
      This practice resulted, of course, in many new additions to the sailor'
family, often when he was halfway around the world, at sea ......
       These children soon were referred to by a specific name, and I think
we have all heard it, or used it, ourselves  .......
      Haven' t you ever heard somebody called," a Son of a Gun ? "
      Many terms came down to us from that era of Sail when
                       Britannia Ruled The Waves .......
             Bruce
      I think we all know that police are called " cops " because the
London " Bobbys " ( policemen ) had copper buttons on their jackets ......