Re: Welding

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:34:12 EST
In a message dated 1/13/01 12:28:18 PM Central Standard Time, LGMCAFEE writes:

<< The thing about mig welding is that you can make a nice looking weld that
is not sound,mig has a problem with cold lapping and you don't get proper
penetration. I work at a nuclear power plant and none of the piping is welded
with mig. The only thing welded with mig is what we call junkyard welding
(hand rails,build up on blades, etc). We have cut test pieces and bent them
and you would be surprised at how many break or crack. Most pipe welding has
the first two passes with tig then stick(arc) the rest of the way out. I know
a lot of people use mig to build there race cars just something to think
about.
 Larry  >>