Fwd: 1991-2001

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: 1991-2001
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:19:08 EST
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Full-name: ARDUN DOUG
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:48:43 EST
Subject: Re: 1991-2001
To: bicwig@msn.com

In a message dated 01/16/2001 11:02:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bicwig@msn.com writes:

<< List,
 I have tried 3 times to send this message.  If you have gotten it 3 times,
 my apologies.  I have an opinion (be quiet Keith) about achievements in the
 last decade relating to LSR.  My vote goes for John Beckett and Tom Sarda
 for giving us east coast guys a place to play with our toys.  They have
 started a new organization, recruited many new members and helped this sport
 to grow.  Just my 2 cents worth.

 Jim Bodenheimer
 BICWIG Racing
 Burlington, NC

Jim,
    Despite the fact that I've never been to Maxton. I have to agree with
you. You might include Bill Mackey in the group.
    I first met Bill at Bonneville in 89 or 90. We'd broken the welded 5/8"
CT stroker in the GoldDigger XXF/GL at the first mile. The crank broke just
fwd of the rear main and got the block, torque converter, tranny, flex-plate,
and C-4 to Flatty adapter housing.
    We had an extra engine and what we thought was a spare tranny.
(NOOOOOOT). It took 2 trips to SLC to get the flex-plate welded and
straightened and the torque converter rebuilt. The aluminum adapter housing
got used as-is. When we started switching parts such as valve body and
miscellaneous innards between the trannys we quickly got in over our heads.
    All the while this big guy (Bill Mackey) with the Right Coast accent had
had been watching with more than a casual interest. I wasn't sure if he was
really interested in these middle-age guys thrashing or if he liked our ample
sun shade.
    When it became obvious that were were stopped by our lack of tranny
expertise Bill stepped in and assembled the unit for us as well as gave us
some great tuning tips.
    In 3 days we had the GoldDigger running again. We didn't set the record
that year but we gained a very valuable and valued friend.........Ardun Doug
King