Re: Clarifying Wheeldriven Records

To: The Butters Family <bbutters@coldreams.com>
Subject: Re: Clarifying Wheeldriven Records
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:06:47 -0500
i was at the 4 when Tom went by on that 450 pass and he
looked mighty hooked up to me. I would think if there was a
500 mph car with a piston engine that is constructed today
he is the man. he went by like it was an easy test pass
going down the track and both engines where pulling very
nice. It did make all the right sounds, two very happy
engines with the tune up he had. When they are right you can
hear it , at least i can. I have spend over 30 years tuning
up race engines and they have a certain set of
characteristics in the way they sound under a load that says
a lot about how they are running. I am not sure I can
describe it but it does not matter 2 cylinder or 16 high rpm
or low. It is more about the spacing of the power pulses out
the exhaust and relative pitch from one pulse to another.
When you hear it and recognize it you won't forget it. Kind
of like a musical instrument that is in perfect tune is the
closest i can describe it. Toms car was making all those
noises. The only other way you can sense it is the car seems
to be moving effortlessly with nothing in the engine
straining to get the job done. When they are not right the
only way I can describe it is the engine sounds all pi&&ed
off.
Dave Dahlgren
( with obviously no passion for a well tuned engine and
racing in general)