FW: Clarifying Wheel driven Records

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Clarifying Wheel driven Records
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:13:17 -0800
List,

You asked for it ... here it is.  The opinion from inside the cockpit of the
Burkland's 411 car.  I appreciate Tom taking the time to write this today.

Wes
----------

Subject: RE: Clarifying Wheel driven Records

Wes,
 Thanks for your efforts in making this neat trophy happen. I
would hope that Jeff will continue his artistic renderings of other land
speed racing subjects. There are so many interesting people, projects,
and stories to apply his talents to.
 Appreciate the positive comments from all your chat line
friends. After watching the video I'm not sure if it isn't just about as
much fun seeing it happen from the outside. That doesn't mean I would
give up the inside viewpoint though, because it's also quite a ride.
 The questions about power and weight on our car require one of
those "it depends" type answers. The weight is 4250 lbs empty with 440
lbs of water, 438 lbs of fuel, and driver for a total of right at 5300
lbs leaving the starting line. The fuel burn will put the car at about
4980 lbs exiting the fifth mile. The power available is 2350 HP per
engine so with all in sync you have 4700 HP at full throttle and RPM.
The run at World of Speed used just over half throttle exiting the
timers with only 5800 RPM. The actual power produced at those conditions
is probably in the 2900 HP area. You'll surely ask, "why not use all of
the available power to go faster?" One of the most difficult problems
with operating one of these cars is the drivability factor of being able
to modulate delivered power to match the available traction
capabilities. If this is done correctly it will result in traction
limited acceleration for the entire distance. If it is not done well the
car will loose acceleration and distance from under power or loose
acceleration and distance from excessive wheel spin caused by over
power. All of this critical throttle application has to happen, along
with appropriate shifts, in a somewhat confined space that is in a
fairly severe vibration environment. Our combination has had much effort
dedicated to fuel delivery curve shape, throttle linkage geometry, gear
ratio selection, inlet configuration, engine torque curve shape, etc to
simplify the drivers task of applying enough power to slip the tires
without spinning them excessively.
 This entire discussion should point out the huge amount of
excess power one of these cars must have at low speeds to be able to
reach the trap speeds required to be competitive. Remember that the
constant speed horsepower requirement for the car increases as the cube
of speed. If the acceleration rates required to actually reach the trap
speeds within realistic  distances are factored in the power requirement
quickly exceeds the available traction. The approach we have taken is to
use as much of the excess power at low speed to accelerate the car
quickly before the aerodynamic drag starts to use up the majority of the
power. With today's limited race track lengths this relatively quick
acceleration is almost a requirement to reach record speeds.
 Hope this helps with some of the questions.
 Thanks
 Tom Burkland