International LSR

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: International LSR
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:54:33 -0500
Keith and List

Great thread that Keith has started on the "Internationalisation" (a long
ugly word) of Land Speed Records.  When I've digested all that has been
said I will throw in my 2 pence as well.  Watch this space.

Correction to the AJ Foyt 'Aerotech' records at Fort Stockton. There were
two cars available to him.AJ set a closed course record of 257.123 mph on
the 7.712 mile Fort Stockton track.  This was in the short tail car using a
Batten 1993cc 850hp single turbo engine.

On the same track and running in opposite directions in the long tail car
(much lower drag) he set an FIA accreditted mile record at 267.399 mph.
(278.357 and 257.441 mph runs).   His run at the closed course record in
this car and a simultaneous 300mph mile run was thwarted by a blown engine
- dropped valve - on the Fueling 1000hp engine.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.