World Records - open minds.

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World Records - open minds.
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:24:08 -0500
This was my response to Keiths e mail a week ago, now is time to share it
with the list and John Beckett.

" Keith

I have tried to be as open minded as possible on this subject but this may
not occur all the way through as I have been conditioned by 100 years of
record history (World Outright that is) as well as the 'British Way'.

Your last sentence is the important one - we need a World wide STANDARD for
record speeds which will allow records to be set anywhere and we all accept
that they are the best.

But... then the problems start - whose methods do we adopt?  Which are the
fairest?  Who should administer the whole thing?  Here goes .......

The rules will have to suit a solo attempt (effectively a Thrust SSC bid)
or a multiple attempt such as at the World Finals.

DRIVERS LICENCES - a form of qualifying to drive at the highest speeds
would be needed to protect the sport from the dangerous individual.  A
graduated system is good.  (We do not have quite that in the UK but most
drivers do progress from slow speeds to high).

VEHICLE Construction - the FIA have only basic definitions and do not
dictate the build quality of a vehicle (unless it is totally unsafe).  Thus
we look to other race groups to put together classes for all types of car
raced around the world.  Cubic capacity or weight divisions are probably
not a concern - they seem to be widespread at the same figures (except
electric bikes).  The FIM bikes and any other groups rules seem much closer
with a few exceptions.  The importance to all racers will be that that the
Scrutineers/Technical Inspectors have a standard interpretation of what
fits the rules and that these officials are impartial.

Next comes the DISTANCE over which a record is set.  For absolute speed we
are looking at a flying start short distance which could be the MIle, the
Kilometre, a half kilometre or a quarter mile.  In America the 132 foot
long 'speed trap' is used although this is nearer to recording a peak speed
of a vehicles passage.  Not every country in the World will be able to have
a mile timed distance.  My choice would be a Quarter mile (440 yards, 404m)
but for International involvement this may need to be 500 metres.  the
distance would be surveyed by an independent certificated surveyor to a
certain accuracy.  There would only be one trap (which will be centred on
the available space).  (I could never accept that a speed measured over 132
feet could be compared with one averaged over a mile).

*** I have changed back to 1 mile or 1 kilo now after reading the list
response, but this makes it difficult for all countries to join in at high
speeds. ***

TIMING equipment - electronic actuated by the passage of the vehicle - No
radars and no on board systems.  Certified clocks again operated by an
independent timer(s).

RETURN RUNS - to avoid any doubt about the car/bike average speed it should
be calculated from two consecutive runs.

So far our new 'rules' will probably be agreeable, but now the problems
between us will arise I feel sure.

There must be classes available for THRUST POWERED vehicles.

I would suggest that no more than TWO HOURS should elapse between these
consecutive runs and that the amount of work on a vehicle/bike should be
servicing not rebuilds!

I would also suggest that the runs are through the timing trap in OPPOSITE
DIRECTIONS - as they used to be at Bonneville and have to be here in the
UK.

This will therefore confirm the need for a centralised timing trap position
- you pass over the same piece of ground (well, you may drive down the
right side both times to avoid the ruts from the first or earlier passes
etc).

There should be an independent OBSERVER present to make sure that
drivers/riders comply with all the rules.  I do not feel that an observer
from a country that is not where the track is located is important (ie the
FIM way which meant I paid for a Swiss to travel to America and observe a
British team).  Each participating country should have a number of
individuals who can act as the observer of the attempt(s).  I do not feel
that the FIM rule is needed today when in most sports the officials are
'neutral' regardless of their Nationality.

RATIFYING RECORDS need not be a Committee matter unless the driver/rider
disputes a ruling from an Observer.  Whilst I hold an FIA stamped Licence
to drive, we would not need the FIA or FIM in this new World of Records.

Therefore if these methods are adopted I would be prepared to accept that
the fastest  car / bike / driver / rider in each class would be a World
Record Holder.  I also would be prepared to accept that the absolute
fastest in the World might come from a different organisation all together
and that Standing Start, Time Elapsed, Endurance Distances (SS) and Longer
distance (5 & 10 miles flying start ) records would be adjudicated by
another body.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England. (only confused over the trap length).
23/01/2001. "