RE: NASCAR ? NHRA ? NOT INTERESTED NOWADAYS .

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <FastmetalBDF@aol.com>, <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: NASCAR ? NHRA ? NOT INTERESTED NOWADAYS .
From: "George Mitchell" <americanpartnerinrussia@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:10:57 -0200
List,
I have been following the discussion about the plight of NHRA with some
interest. I am not old enough to have been started by a flagman but I get
what you guys are talking about. I have been actively drag racing for about
21 years or so ( small amount compared to some of you )  and even I see the
changes . As a crew chief for a prostock car in college and after I was
changed forever on my views towards bracket / handicap racing . I ran a car
in  super gas for a while and it was about the most boring thing I ever did
in motorsports . Having  to slow the car down was maddening. The level of
electronics that have innondated the sport  is heartbreaking. I know guys
that are competitive in super comp in NHRA who actually have more in their
electronics than their motors.  Thats not the  way I think it should be .
 The class that my latest ride runs in is becoming quite popular. You may
have heard of the "fastest street car" type classes. The faster classes have
gotten a little crazy but in the class that I run locally it is pretty fun .
You are almost treated like a pro, there are certain rules and weight breaks
, then it is heads up and first to the finish line. The purses aren't  too
bad either. I still have fun at it . I dont have to worry about a good
"package" or breaking out or anything like that . I just worry about making
a good pass on a true 10.5 inch tire and how to make more power.
 Any way I know where you guys are coming from on drag racing. It doesnt
make sense to me either. In this class I can race for cash putting the
brakes on AFTER the finish line three times a week and that aint so bad.

By the way  NASCAR. I appreciate the technology. How did this become so
huge? Was it simply corporate sponsorship? Who knows. I am glad the dodges
are back though. DIVERSITY is good.

George in DC