Re: Multi-Engine Cars

To: landspeedracer@email.msn.com (John Beckett), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Multi-Engine Cars
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:34:23 -0500 (EST)
John, sure, Fred Larson's car sounds fine.  As to engine rotation,
you're right, one engine(the front) has to turn opposite its normal
rotation.  I understand in marine applications this comes up and cam
grinders etc. can deal with it.  Offhand, I don't know which direction
the driveshafts for front-wheel-drive trucks, etc., turn.  Never fooled
with one.

The coupling for the two engines is an interesting technical problem,
and the Burklands car must have addressed it.  I imagine special cranks
must have to be produced, rather than just coupling the normal snouts,
which might not like that assignment, and break.  Maybe something like
just making the crank snout considerably oversize, with splines for the
coupling, and slipping the two engines together on it during
installation.  The coupling takes no drive load, but just the job of
making the two big engines run together in "harmony".  There would be
plenty of jerking and snatching at this point, but apparently this does
not create a serious problem for the Burklands car.  Cheers Bill