Re: liner tires

To: "paulblandavon" <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: liner tires
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:35:41 -0500
Hi Paul
I am building a lakester that will evolve into a liner over a period of
time.  I am using the 5.00 X 5 Top Fuel tires, and have included photos of
my project.  I have been told  (not by Goodyear) that the small tires were
prone to failure (due to overload) when the rear tires were punctured by
engine explosion shrapnel at high vehicle speed.  Mel Swain, who is building
my car, wanted the advantage of small frontal area and included this design
into this car.  My car is small 212" wb and powered by a 3 litre 4 cyl
engine.  Mel designed a very nice fully adjustable 4 tire front end that
will alleviate any overloading problem. as you can see from the photos, he
has thought this through quite well.  I have spoken with a Goodyear
engineer, and have some data on these tires.  Not in writing though, as they
are reluctant to put a "recommendation" on anything but the tires labeled
for Bonneville use (300MPH).  The design I am using is not suspended, as is
typical long wheelbase lakester/liner practice on the left coast.  The tires
are rated at 1000 lbs (454.5 Kg) each.  Obviously Goodyear concurred with
Top Fuel running the tires  at 300 MPH.
Another story I have heard from Goodyear, is the Top Fuel guys like to use
the front tires for alignment (aiming), and just did not like NOT being able
to see the tires.
Please feel free to write me directly.

Rick Byrnes

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER 1.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER 2.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER3.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER4.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER 5.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER  6.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
LAKESTER 7.jpg]