SFI 45.1 Padding

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: SFI 45.1 Padding
From: Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:51:21 -0800
I got a question about roll-cage padding..

Rule III-3.1 states padding "meeting" SFI 45.1  That clear.  I bought some
from JEGS the other day and it is good looking stuff... but a friend who
races SCCA has the same looking stuff (exact same looking, feeling, bending
product), but his stuff is about twice as thick and cost 1/4 that much
since it does not have the SFI 45.1 stamp on it.

His stuff clearly appears to be the same product.  When a rule such as III
3.1 states a need to "meet" a standard, does the product have to be stamped
with a certification or can it meet the standard by another means.  I would
like to return this stuff I have and get the bigger, thicker stuff, but
obviously I want to pass tech!  How to the inspect for such a standard?  I
don't want to get around the standard, but I think the other product
exceeds it and I would like to use it.

KEN

* Ken Bond,                                                 *
* Prof. of Bus. Admin.                                      *
* Humboldt State Univ.              ____________            *
* Arcata, CA 95521          _______| 58  85  99 |_________  *
*                          /     How much horsepower     /  *
*                         /      Can I have and still   /   *
* Wk.:707.826.4277       /_________ go to Heaven?______/    *
* Wk Fax:707.826.6666              |_61______61_|           *
* Hm.:707.826.7764           I Never Drive Faster than      *
* Hm Fax:707.826.0334        My Guardian Angel Can Fly      *
* Internet:                                                 *
* kmb2@humboldt.edu (office)                                *
* ragtops@humboldt1.com (home)                              *