Pick your local shops carefully

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Pick your local shops carefully
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:48:27 -0800 (PST)
Keith, you might recall that I was not real happy
with the way my Camaro handled last fall at
Maxton.  It wanted to wander a lot.  I figured
that the bad rear spring bushings and the jacked
up rear end, ala 60s drag car, combined with the
wind, added up to the wandering.
earlier this week, when I went back to the front
end shop I had used, they casually informed me
that I'd need to replace the bent upper control
arm.  Why the hell didn't they tell me that when
they replaced the lower, instead of letting me
have a half-a$$#d alignment!
I decided to ask around, and selected another
shop, one where the owner runs a pretty
successful roundy-rounder, and whose son runs a
180 MPH drag Camaro.  He ought to know what he's
doing.
I drove up there at lunchtime, and after about
three point five minutes under the car said it
couldn't be aligned the way it was.  He showed me
where the frame was bent, keeping the right front
wheel 1" higher and 2" farther back than the left
front! He didn't think I needed an upper control
arm, and questioned as to whether I really ever
needed the lower.   Jsheesh - - it's a wonder I
made it down the track at all. Amazing that the
car ran as straight and true as it did. So any
how, this guy sends me to a frame shop where they
tell me they can pull it straight as new in a
week for a couple-a hundred bucks.  The front end
guy also showed me how they reposition the upper
control arm mounts on early Camaros to get the
castor needed for high speed stuff.  I really
feel comfortable with this guy.
Well, there goes my Dart heads for this season,
but at least the car will run true and safe.  I
ought to see some strong 130s with the new cam,
the new gear, and a straight running chassis.

=====
Dick J
In East Texas
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/