Re: Cam Installation

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Installation
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:12:00 -0500
you ought to be able to get it a better parts store or an
automotive machine shop.. Be sure that when you install the
cam that all the lifters spin when you rotate the cam.
Easiest way to check is to put a small mark on the edge of
the lifters and put the cam gear on with no chain. Use a
speed wrench or cordless drill with a socket to spin the cam
in the correct rotation and watch the lifters turn. If they
don't you are headed for a very short lived cam. Oh when you
do this little test just use light oil to lube everything
and then lube it up good with cam lube. In all honesty if
the lifters spin and it is a used cam you will probably be
ok just using oil to lube it up but the cam lube does not
hurt anything either.  This is all assuming that it is a
flat tappet cam and not a roller cam.
Dave Dahlgren