Re: Detachable Blind Cylinders

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Detachable Blind Cylinders
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:46:35 EST
Back in the old days getting a good seal with a headgasket was hard to do, so
they cast the block and head together. Bugatti built all his engines this
way. I remember being part of the three man crew that installed the straight
eight block on the crankcase, on many restorations. One guy ran the hoist
while one guy on each side compressed the rings. Some of the early eights
were just two four cylinder blocks on a common crankcase. I remember finally
getting one engine done only to find out we had reverced one block! Bob in
snowy Connecticut....................one last thing OFFY used an EDM machine
to make sure all the chambers were the same.