Ardun Stud With 5/16 Extension

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ardun Stud With 5/16 Extension
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:35:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, from your suggestions and input here's what I came up with to
produce the stud, cheap, reasonably elegant, will work.

ARP's longest 7/16 head stud, NC one end, NF the other, 7-3/8" overall.

Stud installed with Blue Loctite for water seal, deck thickness on
Flathead block, 9 NC threads.

ARP 7/16 x 1/8 hardened washer, surface ground from 1/8 to 1/16

Grade 8 7/16 NF nut is 3/8" thick.  Leaves 3 threads exposed on stud.

Second 7/16 nut screwed onto exposed threads.  Uses half the threads in
the nut. Use Blue Loctite if you want, probably no need.

5/16" NF Grade 5 bolt, 2" long.  Turn hex head to 7/16, thread NF,
shorten bolt to 1-7/8" underhead length.  Skim the letters off the bolt
head if you like.

Double-nut end of 5/16 bolt, install into top of top 7/16 nut with blue
loctite to secure it.

Presto, the 5/16 bolt now will serve to secure the rocker cover (two
each as described, per head).  Overall length of assembly, 9-1/2 inches.

Not too ideal, nothing brilliant here, but we saved $990.00 per stud
compared with getting ARP to make specials for us.  Thanks to your
suggestions.  Cheers Bill