Re: Holdon

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Dick J"
Subject: Re: Holdon
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:35:00 +1300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
To: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 2:49 AM
Subject: Holdon

> Chris,
>  I've been watching some old speedvision re-runs
> about building sedan (saloon) racers in England.
> They imported Holdon motors from Aus to put into
> those cars.  I'm also on a Shelby Cobra list, and
> they talk about Holdon motors all the time.  Is
> the Holdon the same as a Chev small block, or is
> it something different?
>
> Thanks
>
> =====
> Dick J
> In East Texas

Dick,
The Holden is pure Australian only although some of its body styles are
marketed under other GM names in the UK and South Africa. The engines until
very recent times have been with little exception Australian designed and
unique. Their first V8s were a 253, 2v and 308, 4v. They have a symetrical
port layout contrary to the SBC. Their later upgrades have seen the 308
reduced in cubes to align with the more Internationally accepted 5 litre
capacity. The top of the line V8 offered presently however is the new 2nd
generation all alloy Chebbie and the 6 sp if required.

There is a hugely popular touring car series in Australia that culminates in
a 1000 kms race on the Bathurst road course which without doubt has to be
the greatest circuit for 'door car' racing in the World. It ends up solely a
Ford vs Holden competition with fans from both camps fanatically staunch who
camp for days in the rural surroundings before the event. People have been
known to stray into the wrong area manufacturor wise and............. well
I'll leave that to your imagination. Holden lead Ford presently with a
greater number of overall wins.

Blower Drive Services in LA have a 308 Holden V8 in their reception area on
a stand as an ID test for visitors I'm told.

Chris H...........NZed.