Truth or ??

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Truth or ??
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:53:18 -0800 (PST)
The following was sent to me as "supposed true
story" on my other e-mail.  I want a genuine
rocket scientists opinion.  Trught or ????

> -Idiot Story-
>
> The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of
smoldering metal embedded
> into the side of a cliff rising above the road
at the apex of a curve.
> The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane
crash, but it was a car.
> The type of car was unidentifiable at the
scene.

> The lab finally figured out what it was and
what had happened. It seems
> that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO
unit (Jet Assisted Take Off
> - actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to
give heavy military
> transport planes and an extra "push" for taking
off from short
> airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out
into the desert and found
> a long, straight stretch of road. Then he
attached the JATO unit to his
> car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off
the JATO!

> The facts as best as could be determined are
that the operator of the
> 1967 Impala hit the JATO ignition at a distance
of approximately 3.0
> miles from the crash site. This was determined
by the prominent scorched
> and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO,
if operating properly,
> would have reached maximum thrust within 5
seconds, causing the Chevy to
> reach speeds well in excess of 350 miles per
hour and continuing full
> power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The
driver, soon to be pilot,
> most likely would have experienced G-forces
usually reserved for
> dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full
afterburners, basically causing him
> to become insignificant for the remainder of
the event.

> However, the automobile remained on the
straight highway for about 2.5
> miles (15-20) seconds before the driver applied
and completely melted
> the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick
rubber marks on the road
> surface, then becoming airborne for an
additional 1.4 miles and
> impacting the cliff face at a height of 125
feet leaving a blackened
> crater 3 feet deep in the rock.
>
> Most of the driver's remains were not
recoverable; however, small
> fragments of bone, teeth and hair were
extracted from the crater and
> fingernail and bone shards were removed from a
piece of debris
> believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

=====
Dick J
In East Texas
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/