Re: spirit of the salt

To: paul.blandavon@btinternet.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spirit of the salt
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:05:24 -0000
Yah Paul,....  "Dirty Doug" here,in New Yawk

I wuz there when he done it.  1989 it was..... -in Swamp Rat 33; -a FLATHEAD
powered streamliner built for him by some fellers in Lincoln Nebraska.

As you'd expect it was black....  I believe it was supercharged. It also ran
with an Ardun too ( I think ???) She ran nice.  Sounded sooooo good.

Believe it has run since, and was rolled, and repaired to run again another
day.  Maybe some others can fill in more blanks.

The day he set those records,I got to speak with him again, and (what really
made my day.....was; ) at the same time,I got to meet and chat a little with
Howard Johannson of HOWARD'S CAMS fame (who's now since gone on to the
speedway in the sky GOD BLESS him)

Those two innovators seemed to naturally gravitate towards one another.....
and I took a photo of them right then -I'll have to look thru all my
momentos some day and see if I can't find it!

           A special time.  A special place.  Special people.

that's my story an' I'm stickin' toit.

I can't hardly wait to go back.      cheers,  "Dirty Doug"

( who's sure glad he made the extra effort to attend the 50th.....
-cross country in my chopped n' channeled '31 Ford cou'pe !
- an' we gonna do dat agin too -so there! )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx