NITROMETHANE : Known as the "poor man's supercharger" in the

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: NITROMETHANE : Known as the "poor man's supercharger" in the
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:09:36 EDT
       Do any of you old time drag racers recall the big explosion and fire
that happened in some Gulf Coast refinery some years back ?  I think it
was in Louisiana, and I cannot recall the year ..... it may have been
between the late 70s and the mid 80s ...... but the end result was the
price of nitro took quite a jump, as that refinery's nitro production was
totally stopped .  I do recall hearing the fueler guys griping about
the cost of their liquid horsepower, and several years later some members
of a top fuel crew told me that they didn' t think that particular facility
ever
resumed the manufacture of nitromethane .
  ...... Ten years ago I probably would have recalled all the details !
                     Bruce
PS :  My youngest son Darrell only ran 11% nitro on the fastest runs he
made with the Black Radon Eng. blown fuel altered last August ...... and
he said that even this low "engine longevity" percentage made a very big
difference in the power output ......
      It also boosts up the fuel bill ..... but it' s all in search of fun,
and
                 We are ALL going this way only ONE  time !!!