Fwd: Quick change

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Quick change
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:09:02 EDT
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Full-name: ARDUN DOUG
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:08:28 EDT
Subject: Re: Quick change
To: land-speed@autox.team.net

In a message dated 4/10/2001 11:36:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, TBS1@pge.com
writes:

> List,
> What's the best quick change rear for a land speed car? I know most of them
> are equipped with a 4:11 ring and pinion but at the speeds we run that gets
> overdriven pretty hard. I've heard that others are out there with r/p in the
> 3:2 to 3:7 range.   Any ideas would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Tom Stewart
> B/Gas Coupe

The Champ-type quick change was based on the rear end used on Ford light
trucks and is mostly available in only 4.11 & 4.86 ratios. There are a few
conversions to 3.6 or 3.63 that take some moderate machining on the center
section. The V-8 quick change will take anything from the 4.44 to the 3.27
ring and pinion. Not sure if any case machining is necessary for the gear
extremes.