Bill Ward's "celebrity"

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bill Ward's "celebrity"
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:07:40 -0700
Someone mentioned that Bill Ward had a lady with terminal cancer drive the
Opel.  That was Ellen Christensen.  Not a one off salt racer at all.  She
and her husband, Ron Christensen, had been the voices on the salt flats
radio for several years.  Ron still does it, mostly on his own.  Ellen set
records in their three cylinder turbocharged Chevy "Salted Peanut" and also
drove the Nissan 300 ZX that both she and Ron qualified in for the 150 Club.
They each made two runs between 159.4 and 159.9 mph.  We lost Ellen the
Spring after she drove the Opel ... 216 mph with an engine that was going
away.  We really miss her sweet attitude and her jabs at Ron.  Said she had
gone faster than he did because he had done so much more road racing and was
used to making turns.  There was another engine in the works for the
following year that would have had her in the 2 Club I'm sure.  "Cousin
George" Potter was looking over his shoulder at her speeds in a class he
wanted to run in.

We need someone to help fill in on the air so Ron can run this year.  Any
volunteers?

Wes