Re: #786 c/galt camaro

To: chad labno <clab@bellsouth.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: #786 c/galt camaro
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:09:30 -0700 (PDT)
Chad, the 10 bolt works good on an under 150 car
like mine.  If you're going faster than that, you
can use some axle retainers from Mark Williams,
but I've been told they tend to leak and are not
the best way to go.  The real solution is to find
a Ford 9" that fits (there are several
applications that are 1" narrower, the same, and
1" wider that can all be used.  You can get a
boneyard 9" and rebuild it for a pretty
reasonable price.  Depending on how much coin
you've got, you can either get another center
section with the gears you need, or you could
probably interghcange the center section right
there at the same boneyard and get the gear
ratios you need. I use tire changes to effect a
gear change mainly because I didn't have the time
(and the money) to swap to a Ford 9" and I had
three sets of tires in different sizes already in
the shop.  A Ford 9" brings about $150 around
here.  By the time you get done with the extra
wheels, and extra tires, and mounting/balancing,
you will lay out about $240 - $250.  It's
actually cheaper to get the 9".

=====
Dick J
In East Texas