Re: Underslung

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Underslung
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:38:50 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/2001 4:07:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, v4gr@rcn.com
writes:

> For what it's worth, my roadster uses Morris torsion bars mounted along the
> frame rails using the Morris hardware and a big rocker arm in front linked
> to the axle just off the spindle on one end and to the tube shocks behind
> the radiator shell on the other. Nothing in the wind. I use early Ford type
> steering but with a Franklin box. Kind of rare but a 56 Ford F100 steering
> or many others will work just as well. The Vega stuff is behind fenders and
> grill and such so is not so hidden.  Rich Fox
> From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
> To: Ben Delozier <bend@aaronsap.com>; john@engr.wisc.edu
> <john@engr.wisc.edu>; 'Want1937hd@aol.com' <Want1937hd@aol.com>
> Cc: land-speed@autox.team.net <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 01:32 PM
> Subject: Underslung
>

> >'Zactly the springs I was thinking of!
> >
> >Dick J
> >--- Ben Delozier <bend@aaronsap.com> wrote:
> >> Neal East's modified is done in this fashion,
> >> featured in Street Rodder 2-3
> >> yrs. ago.
> >>
> >> "Northern Tools?" has a mono-leaf spring that's
> >> inexspensive and would suit
> >> this purpose well, I believe.  Coupled with
> >> some Armstrong lever shocks it
> >> could be a pretty compact set-up.
> >>
> >> BenD in MO

List,
       My Modified Roadster uses Morris-Minor hydraulic lever shocks on the
front suspension, a straight Ford-type tube axle with torsion bars running
down the frame rails.
       The rear suspension is a 4 link with advustable coilover shocks.
       I used the Morris shocks on the front because they take less space
than conventional tube-types and can be adjusted by varying the viscosity of
the fluid used...............................Ardun Doug