Re: Morris Minor's, Woodies, Pie Wagons, Mini's and U

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morris Minor's, Woodies, Pie Wagons, Mini's and U
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:09:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/2001 6:07:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com writes:

> A. DOUG; well, I understand what you just said, but when you say "new Mini"
> hat do you mean?  -the "old series" that were made in England (and other
> places?)for years and years, or ? I can't seem to "get" this idea of "new"
> thought they quit making them (the original type) a few years ago......
> Am I wrong?
>
> Doug,
>
> Doug,
>     I'm probably getting in over my head on this. In the course of
> restoring my Morris I bought lots of parts from a local outfit called
> Mini-Mania that specialized in spares for the Mini and the Morris.
>     A while back at Mini-Mania there was a branny-new crated Mini body
> shell that had arrived from the UK as parts. My recollection was that the
> folks at Mini-Mania told me that the UK people who held the rights to the
> Mini were reproducing the body shell, and that it was dimensionally close
> enough to the originals to accept early body panels, etc. There were some
> differences, mainly that the new ones had roll-up side windows instead of
> the sliding units used in early Minis.
>     A year or so ago my neighbor bought a complete new Mini while he was
> traveling in the UK and had it shipped to the US. Once it arrived on the
> dock the Feds would not accept it as a complete running car because it
> didn't meet the smog and safety requirements. His alternative was to
> dismantle the car (pull out the engine and running gear among other things)
> and get it through Customs as parts only, which he did.
>     Now his dilemma is how to register it and get a CA title. That's where
> my suggestion regards the repopped VIN plate and finding an unused number
> comes in. My supposition is that the new Mini is close enough in appearance
> to the old ones that it might be registered as a 60's or 70's model.

       I'll post this on the list and see what some of our UK and
"down-under" members can provide. I know that they're more "up" on the matter
than I am.
       How about some enlightenment Malcolm, Paul, and Chris?...........
                                                                         The
Other Doug in Nor CA