David Freiburger and Hot Rod

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: David Freiburger and Hot Rod
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:25:04 -0500
Okay we had a Really small meet... Not allot of folks for some reason....
but fun stuff all the same.... Brought out David Freiburger to run Brett
and Regan Yates Modified Roadster... this is a NOTHING fancy car.... just
your basic Small Block Automatic 9" sorta deal....

they have been Plagued by Trans Problems and after 5 or 6 passes the Turbo
350 bit the dust.... ( shifting linkage issues I think )   Best Pass was
with Dave in the car and he went 169 and change....

So were hanging out Sunday morning and Grib jumps up and offers his Busch
car.... Needless to say Freiburger is ALL smiles.... this thing is a Real
Deal Busch piece that has been over Two at Maxton MANY times.... it was
going to prove to be a real treat....  Amazed at how Comfortable Dave was
in these cars.... very calm and focused... but not tense.... nice touch....

Ran 188mph and had some clutch issues.... but it all worked out fine....
got his B lic thanks to Grib.....

Hanging out with this guy for a couple of days was a blast... nice kid (
he's 34 and I'm 43.... so that makes him a kid somewhere in my life..)
Here is what I got out of our conversations.... First off he's a
Motorhead.... knows his stuff inside and out.... but admits when he
doesn't...  Second and Most importantly I honestly believe this guy
understands what the Average Hot Rodder is into.... he talked about the 100
or so top cars in the country and how they didn't even begin to represent
what mainstream Hot rodders Liked.
talked about Drag racing being a Heads up sport... and Bracket Racing BEING
JUST THAT.... BRACKET racing..

We talked allot about Land speed racing... and his perspective on the
sport... he was going to build a 130mph car for one of the vintage
classes... and immediately decided he LIKED going fast..... so much for
Vintage... bring on the Mountain Motor Production car....  ( I loved the
change in attitude and the ability to decide.... what road he wanted to go
down. )  Most importantly He talked about the History of Hot Rodding....
with an almost religious reverence for what has happened in the past..  (
the guy knows LSR history well ) ( oh and for you sicko's out there he also
knows Military Hardware )

I don't know who at Hot Rod Magazine made the decision to put him in
charge.. but I honestly believe we all might want to renew our
subscriptions in the future... I think it's going to be a magazine that
actually has something we want to read in it.....

Very cool deal all in all.....

Keith

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)