Re: cylinder heads

To: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>,
Subject: Re: cylinder heads
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:30:03 -0400
Terry

Probably because of those damn trailers I didn't get to see what Tom's
comments/recommendations to you were. However I can tell you my experience
at Bonneville with our 258 CID Chevy. Obviously this is even smaller than
your 302 engine and perhaps even more sensitive to port sizing.
Previously we were running ported Chevy Bow Tie heads. I don't have flow
numbers, but they weren't huge ports. I'm  thinking around 180 CC ports. We
thought a good size for this motor.  Everything ran well and we set the
class record at 207 MPH.
Last year, for various reasons, we decided to experiment and changed to Dart
230 heads. Way to big for a small CID motor right. Well the engine loved the
added air flow on the top end. Yes the bottom end suffered some, but where
do we run (top end)? The new record is now 212 MPH. For us a 5 MPH increase
in the 200 MPH range is 25 to 30 HP.
My thoughts are to put some GOOD 18 or 15 degree, maybe even splayed valve,
heads on and make some top end HP.

John Beckett
#79, Worlds Fastest Chevette