What the rules don't say-2

To: "land- Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: What the rules don't say-2
From: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:04:33 +1000
Dan and list, The rule reads " ANY frame may be used as long as the bottom
line of the frame is not HIGHER than the bottom line of the body between the
firewall and the rear wheels."  No problem . " An exception will be made if a
stock frame and the same year/ make of body are being used." Not relevant
since the stock frame is not being used. " If the ORIGINAL frame/body is such
that the lower bottom line of the frame is above the outer bottom line of the
body, that frame/body combination may be used." Again not relevant since the
bottom line of the frame is below the body line. " The burden of proof of the
ORIGINAL frame/body relationship lies with the entrant." I provided pictures
showing a stock Studebaker. They show that the original frame is below the
outer body line by about one and a quarter inches. The car met the rules as
they existed in 1997. In 1998 , a sentence was added " The frame may not be
exposed from the bottom of the body." The car was now illegal. I pointed out
that all 32 to 34 Fords would be illegal. The following year,1999, another
sentence was added, "This rule does NOT apply to vintage body class vehicles."
Dan, the reason I picked the Altered class was because I like the creative
aspects of hot rodding and I figured this was a class that would allow me some
latitude. Unfortunately, the powers that be decided I had gone beyond the
intent of the rules if not the letter. It's good to remember the phrase " You
can't beat city hall."    Terry Hunt, Guam Bomb, #743