BALANCING WHEELS - - - - - OR ANYTHING THAT ROTATES

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: BALANCING WHEELS - - - - - OR ANYTHING THAT ROTATES
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:53:39 EDT
        List,  This discussion on balancing your trailer wheels reminds me
of a comment on engine balancing that I read, back about 1959 or ' 60, in
one of those old East Coast " little " car mags .  The engine builder stated,
" If it rotates ...... it should be balanced "   In those days he was known
as "Tampa Don" or  "Swamp Rat", a nickname originally hung on him
by fuel dragster competitor  Serop "Setto" Postoian from Michigan .
       Most racers today know him as "Big Daddy", the most legendary
of all the great champions of drag racing .  I think that advice from
Don Garlits is as true today as it was back then, especially if we look
back on his racing career and his records and successes  ........
       Don was / is an innovator along the lines of Smokey Yunick, and
one of the neat little tricks he had in his blown WEDGE powered 1962
Top Eliminator runner up at the NHRA Nationals at Indianapolis was
RIFLE  DRILLED rear axles to save a few precious ounces of weight !
       Just one of the many ideas utilized by Don in his quest for lower
et's and higher speeds ...... a quest racers still carry on today .
.                Bruce
       Fortunate to have been there with friends in ' 62 ......
and recalling the slogan on the hood of Don's tow vehicles
in those days ...... " HERE  COMES  TROUBLE "