Re: Fwd: Ardun Tech Tidbit

To: tech@enginemanagementsystems.com (Dave Dahlgren),
Subject: Re: Fwd: Ardun Tech Tidbit
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
Glad you asked that, Dave.

Many but not all Ardun fellas use traditional cast iron rings, because
the Flathead or Ross or Arias pistons we can use come with them, because
they seat in right away, just run it 20 minutes then race it, and they
seem to last a long time.  It may seem hopelessly anachronistic, but for
my purposes nothing is better than a set of Grant rings with a
three-piece oil ring.  Some people use Total Seal or whatever rings.

I don't want to upset anybody by revealing that my approach to valve
jobs is to reface a worn original Ardun valve in a Snap-On machine, then
lap it lightly into the seat with fine valve grinding compound.  But
they do seem to seal fine this way.  I would'n't let anybody with a
three-angle valve job near my Ardun heads.  Might hurt 'em.

I think some of the fellas use a torque plate, but others I respect tell
me they can't tell any difference if they do, so they don't bother with
it.

I've been down the road of hunting for special rings to fit my
old-fashioned pistons, and eventually decided it was not worth the
trouble.
I grant you that modern methods might net a small percentage
improvement, but I don't want to put that much time, effort and money
into the exercise, and prefer to see what results I can get with my
primitive backyard techniques.  This also saves me the trouble of
begging pro shops to do something I can do myself.

Cheers Bill