Re: Zora's Ardun(Wrong)Allard at LeMans

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, bigsid@webtv.net, marco <bk185@lafn.org>,
Subject: Re: Zora's Ardun(Wrong)Allard at LeMans
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:41:04 -0700 (PDT)
--- ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:
> Hi Folks, a while back I sent you a story about
> how Zora Arkus-Duntov
> drove an Ardun-Allard at LeMans in '52.
>
> It was recently brought to my attention,
> reinforced by review of
> original LeMans records which are available on
> the Internet, that the
> Allard Zora did drive at LeMans in '52 was
> powered not by an Ardun-Ford,
> but by a Chrysler Hemi, one of the other
> engines Allard offered in its
> cars.
>
> The reason given for retirement of the car, in
> the LeMans records, is
> "brakes".  The moral is obvious.  The car
> should have had an Ardun.  It
> was the 200 extra pounds of iron in the
> Chrysler that did the brakes in.
> Cheers Ardun Bill (admirer of the Chrysler Hemi
> as well as the Ardun).

HOLD ON THERE PARDNER.  I respect Zora Arkus
Duntov just as much as you do, but he drove that
car with a Chrysler hemi 'cause that was the most
powerful engine in the universe.  AND, and it was
not the extra weight that caused the brake
failure.  It's 'cause he feared the awsome
horspower of the mighty "Firepower" so much that
he used the brakes too much!  I even read
somewhere that the Starship Enterprise was
originally powered by a Chrysler hemi until
Scotty said it was too much power and they
downgraded to a warp-drive system!  ha ha ha

Dick J
In East Texas
HEMIs FOREVER!!!