Re: Leak Down Check

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leak Down Check
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:09:07 -0700
Hey, Keith!
Just happened to watch Crank and Chrome (Shadetree) guys and they did a
leakdown test on an old 5 liter ford motor. Their comment was that 10%
leakdiwn was completely acceptabel but when it got over 20 percent that was
not good at all. Two of their cylinders tested at 45%.

Seems like that big of leakdown (10%) is too much in my book, though. Tham
muck blow-by means loss of power. I am going to use total seal rings which
are supposed to leak no more than 1 or 2 %. As to my way of thinking
regarding warm vs cold, the cylinders and rings are iron so shouldn't make
much difference?

mayf (can't wait to see that puppy run)

 Subject: Leak Down Check

> I had a bunch of pals drop by today.... so Brad and I being smarter then
> your average couple of racers conned them into helping us yank out the
Mule
> Motor and get the engine bay ready for the Rodeck....
>
> When we got the engine out of the car we did a leak down check on it...
took
> the left gage to 100 psi and the right gage usually ended up on around
> 95.... then we stuck on the cylinder and checked the Percentage of leak
with
> the Piston at TDC..... bottom line we had 2-3 that showed more then 10%
leak
> coming out of the exhaust valves.... ( if you held your hand over the
> exhaust port you could feel the air coming out....
>
> This motor was rather Rich when it was running.... any thoughts on maybe
> coking up the Exhaust valves?  Keep in mind this test was done DEAD
COLD....