Re: Lexan/and the boys....

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>, "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Lexan/and the boys....
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:05:33 -0500
Ed.... You ain't Right.....

I just wish everyone on the list could have been with the four of us at the
WOS last year.... to truly appreciate the quality of Ed's remark.... Here's
the basic skinny on the way this crew was put together... and to see how we
all handled a situation.... This is what ya had to deal with in this ONE
particular situation )

You had Dave Dahlgren.... ( Yep this is the way it is Going to BE, it's
what's right.... Trust me ... it's what we got to work with.... and This
WILL work )

Then ya got Mayf.... ( okay just exactly why is it going to be that way....
what are the Solar consequences of this action... at 3pm is this going to
happen again? )

Course you had me sitting there like a lump on a log.... wondering why and
if it was Bed time yet?

Ed.... ahhh Trusty Ed with his extra long course vehicle extraction
device... ( I am here just to see what happens.... and Hey I might learn
something....)

The situation at hand was RULE #1 for Dan's Crew.....

If the Beer is in the SUN.... Move it to the SHADE!!!

Keith ( There are moments in everyone's life when they build memories...
some of us are lucky enough to capture these moments at the time... )

----------
> From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
> To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
> Cc: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Many Thanks  and More Lexan....
> Date: Monday, June 04, 2001 9:08 PM
>
> plasticator? Isn't that illegal even in Pahrump? You crack me up Mayf,
bet it
> looks pretty darn good  :-)
> Ed
>

> DrMayf wrote:
>
> > Lots of thanks to those who have suggested ways to hold the doors
closed. I
> > will consider all.
> >
> > Now, the rest of the story....
> > As ya'll know, I sometimes get to big in the head and it was thusly
about
> > the windshield. I say to my self, hell I am an engineer, it can't be
all
> > that bad or hard. So I first took the windshield frame from the car and
put
> > in on the work bench. Pretty flimsy, it is. It was pretty rusty so I
buffed
> > it with the wire brush and gave it a coat of primer. The I set about
making
> > myself a poster board template. Cut, try, cut some more, oops, cut to
much,
> > add some more back with duct tape. Keep trimming until it fits
wonderfully
> > well. Well, Ok, it really wasn't wonderfully well, but ok. So I bebop
on
> > down to the local ACE hardware place and got mysely a piece of
Plexiglass,
> > cast acrylic, that is. It was cheap! But it looked like the right
stuff. So
> > I marked around my template and cut the drivers side. Oop! I cipped a
> > little. Ah, not bad, I'll Just be a little more carefull. Put in in the
> > frame and jeezze it was hard to fit. Struggle, struggle, snap! Broke
that
> > puppy right in the middle. Drat! $%^%^$##@ and other words. Then I
remember
> > you all and got your advice...LEXAN is the olny product that is even
> > acceptable. So I asked for suppliers and lots of ya'll responded. But,
> > went ahed and ordered a piece from Aircraft Spruce Specialties...Holy
MOley,
> > only 59 bucks for a 4 x 4 piece! But UPS would not ship it. Would have
> > come FedEx from So Cal. and that was gonna be another 30 + bucks. So I
> > cancelled the order. Went to the Las Vegas Home Depot and there it
> > was....LEXAN....70 bucks for a 36 x 72 piece and no freight...Well
yesterday
> > I decided I had screwed around long enough on this so I got my template
out
> > again and marked the Lexan. Cut that puppy with my jig saw with a small
kerf
> > blade.WOW! What a difference between Lexan and Plexiglass: no rips, no
> > tears, no nothing except good cuts. So Afte trimming the drivers side
abit I
> > starter "messaging" the Lexan into the frame. I had already drilled
about 2
> > million scre holes for 6-32 SS Phillips Pan Head bolts. I used SS
Nylock
> > "thin" nuts and 2 tiny flat SS washers (Mil Spec on those puppies).
Anyhool
> > I am grunting and graoning trying to get this sucker to fit the frame.
> > anchored it down with several C clamps and it didn't look all that bad.
So I