Fire suits,been there,done that,got the T shirt

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fire suits,been there,done that,got the T shirt
From: William McIntyre <acromac@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:20:04 -0800
Greetings to the list and may I add a personal thought on not just
going for the rules minimum on safety equipment.
On 28 December 1963,I went off on the last round of top fuel
eliminator against Tucson Speed Sport.At half track,my engine kicked
out a rod and piston assy.The ensuing fire ball put me in Scottsdale
Baptist Hospital for 6 weeks.Besides the memories of that event I have
skin grafts in 3 places on my left leg.Im here today because of the
expert care from Dr.Morris Barton and the many nurses looking after
me.
Nomex suits had not yet been developed.I was wearing one of the
aluminized suits,gloves and hood common to the time.It was the best
available at the time but those type suits would not stand direct
flame and the fire wall in the car was woefully inadequit.
Opting for the minimum safety equipment required is not the way to
save a buck.Get the best available.Also---take a hard look at your
fire wall,If you see a way to improve it,do it!!! If you see a fellow
racer with unsafe equipment or attitude---speak up.
Race hard but safely
Respectfully
Bill McIntyre

--