Re: Break in Procedures

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Break in Procedures
From: "Dana Goulston" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 08:47:27 -0700
Hi Tom,

Break-in for an LS bike (except P) is tuff. Some of the synths. say "not for
Break-in" on the label. I've heard (here we go) run up the engine (use a
room fan if you need cooling) for 20 minutes varying the RPMs.

I did my new engine (on Castrol 20/50) for about 15 min. before my wrist got
tired. I also drove around the block (with great difficulty), and took it
out to the local drag strip for a half-dozen passes with lots of revs in
between.

I also ran at EM in May.

Yesterday, I drained the oil, dropped the pan (and pulled the filter), and
thoroughly cleaned all. I also hand cranked a few times, and tilted the bike
20 degrees and let it drain some more.

Today I'm adding Red-Line synthetic 15/50 racing oil ($8/qt.). I'll leave it
in for the rest of the season. "Purple Oil" sponsors Streamiliners (or used
to), but they were $2 more per qt.

Dana Goulston
Folsom, CA
Land Speed Racer: