Re: Bobby Allison/Nascar Truck Project

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, kturk@ala.net
Subject: Re: Bobby Allison/Nascar Truck Project
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:44:11 -0000
FASCINATING... Give us more ?   Tell us more of what you saw...
         -and re-explain the "dyno ? for us illiterates will ya'?

         thanks,!  Doug A

                   -----------------------------

From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bobby Allison/Nascar Truck Project
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 05:32:44 -0500

Got a Call the other day from George White..... he was a crew member  with
Bobby Allison and Red Farmer in Winston cup..... did a bit of work with
Davey Allison also.... any way George has business developing Handicapped
equipment of all kinds..... mostly associated with the racing World.

He is putting a project together with Ray ( who is a Parapalegic ) to drive
a Winston Cup Truck.... they needed an opportunity to race at a couple of
different venues and had heard about Land Speed Racing from Bob Gribble at
Muscle Motorsports...   Bob got them in touch with me and they invited Brad
Johnson and I up to look at thier Trucks to see how much they needed to do
to get through Tech..   Whew...

So Brad and I took the day and went up to Birmingham to check out what they
had.....  the fact that they were in Bobby Allison's Shop did'nt hurt our
desire to go up there.... the Truck was fine.... Brad gave them Many
pointers on what to do and what safety equipment they would need and of
course we talked about egress proceedures and so on....

I had the opportunity to go through this fascinating collection of
building's of an old time Nascar race shop..... Very cool deal.... his Dyno
was a 3 Prop Propeller and a  needle pointer.... he held the pointer at one
spot and the amount of pitch he could put in the Prop was how good the
engine was!!!   he didn't care about Torque numbers or Hp he only cared
about Pitch....the motor was good or bad.... a Hoss or not... that simple to
him.

the Body shop was totally seperate from the Fab shop and the Engine shop was
totally seperate.... keep in mind these building's are mostly cinderblock
structures about 24 X 24 and often two stories....

Just a very cool place.... Fun to see the way it was....

Keith