Wolf in Sheep's clothing: Paul Smith's 12 sec Dodge VAN(SUPER

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Wolf in Sheep's clothing: Paul Smith's 12 sec Dodge VAN(SUPER
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:59:06 EDT
This is my 1989 Dodge Caravan SE Turbo.
I bought it for the grand total of $800.  It has the blow throughTurbo I
engine.
It is equipped with power windows and locks, rear window defogger,power
brakes and steering, AM FM Cassette
and had over 129,000 miles (now over 138,000 miles). It is my dailydriver!
I have improved the performance of this van along the lines of<A
HREF="http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mini.html";> GusMahons Van.</A>
I  reached my (1st) goal of getting into the 14's in the quartermile, last
year.
I feel that any car running in the 14 seconds is faster than most carsonthe
road, but
this speed stuff is like a drug. You always think of some little thingtomake
it a little faster.
If a 14 second mini van will beat most of the cars on the road, a
12 Second Mini Van
mini van will beat almost all the cars on the road!
Record as of 6/6/00 is 12.65 seconds!  See below:
I remove the seats and spare tire to race. Race weight is 3060 with1/4 tank.
If you see a Woody mini van full of kids with a big guy in bib
overallsdriving it, look out!
<A HREF="http://webpages.krausonline.com/spaul/mainpage.htm";>(clickhere for my
home page, pictures of my and my family)</A> Racing at the
track is a truly unforgettable experience! To pull upto the track entrance
with
a Van Load of kids (6 of us all together!) and ask for a run card torace,
talk about stupid looks!
Then to pull into tech inspection with all the Mustangs and Camarosand watch
all the kids pile out.
The tech inspector will normally not give it a close look until henotices the
helmet in the seat and
the slicks in the back. When I say I run 12 Second 1/4 miles, theydo a double
take.
"You got a drive shaft loop?" Sorry, its front wheel drive. To pull up at the
start line, next to the guy that just dropped $4000in the engine of his
Camaro,
and see him laugh and shrug me off, then get him by a full car lengthin the
first 60 feet,
and be ahead of him by 4 or 5 car lengths at the end, still pullingaway!
All of my kids are jumping up and down in the stands yelling "that'smy dad"!!
Then after the run, pull over to park, and the crowd starts to gatheraround
my van,
and my boys come running up "you won!!"
I open the hood and everyone is surprised to see a 4cylinder!
I explain that is the factory, un rebuilt engine,with 137,000 (now 138,300
141,000) miles on it!
  <A HREF="http://webpages.krausonline.com/spaul/turbovan.html";>ClickHere for
list of Other Turbo Van owners!</A> <A
HREF="http://webpages.krausonline.com/spaul/mod_list.html";>Click here for a
list of the
modifications done to this van</A>

I am a member of two Great Car clubs, which have been of great support and
help in building, racing and enjoying this van and the sport of drag racing.
If you want to learn and particiapte in local (to me) front wheel drive
Chrysler events, racing and meet other crazy people like me, join the Chicago
Land SDAC. Memberships is cheep, and if you own a FWD Chrysler including
Neon, the help, experince and fun of being arounds other members is worth the
cost. Click here for a membership form, or contact me for more info.  Forinfo
to the National club of the Shelby Dodge Car Club, please click here.