List Quest and Axle Bearings ...... and Home Brewed Solutions

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: List Quest and Axle Bearings ...... and Home Brewed Solutions
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:24:21 EDT
        Hey Keitheroo !   You dug that outta the archives ...... that was a
long
time ago that I pulled that stunt ...... Doug was about sixteen or so, Darrell
not even a teenager ...... the axle in the snowbank ( wouldn't FIT in our
freezer !!! )and the bearings for a short stay in the oven ( I bet Emeril
LaGasse
never never tried that dish ) saved the day, and our station wagon was back
on the road that afternoon, without a press at our disposal ...... I figured
it
would work, knowing this was a very common practice in joining all sorts
of close tolerance components in submarine construction . My employer,
( Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics ), always kept an abundant
supply of  Dry Ice on hand for the COOL half of the shrink fit technique .
       Over the years Mary Ann learned to tolerate( barely ! )my using the
oven to pre-warm some thicker pieces for welding, aiming at less thermal
shock ......  I always emphasized the money saving aspect of doing it
that way, instead of using oxygen and acetylene, pointing out we would
have more bucks available to take the kids on more trips, and eat out
more often, etc ...... another successful technique !!!
       I do know that she never saw a single auto repair bill( but thousands
of them for parts )until several years back when our car had these
newfangled computerized ( spell that #%*!?@&;# ) systems .......
being from the Industrial Revolution / Flatheads Forever School of
Fix Em Up ...... I had to seek help from the pros with the know-how
and high dollar test equipment . It sure did feel weird having to pay
someone else to work on my car after over forty years of self reliance ......
                 All things change with time !!!
       Thanks, Keith, for reminding me of one of many of
the home brewed solutions we used to come up with .......
       Isn' t that what real hot rodding is all about ???
                   Bruce
PS :  Growing up in my Dad's workshop, he would teach me lots
of neat tricks, and say, " There's more than ONE WAY to skin a cat ! "
 ...... knowing he never skinned one !   He also taught me about
guns, and took me shooting( cans / bottles / targets ) often ......
but would never go hunting, even when invited by friends .
      ...... I ramble on : more dusty memories .......