Re: Gear selection challange

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Gear selection challange
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:46:42 -0600 (MDT)
KT, heres my best shot
Torque corrected to 6000' corrected alt.
Eng capable of 8600-9000
tires all the same type

I would run the 3.07 with the 27" tires in direct. That
shoud give you app. 850 torque to salt. at peak torque
in direct, 8600 is good for 225 mph. If you can turn
9000 (235 mph) In direct with fuel you will have a
better chance than trying to pull the od or bigger tire.

you have a 9% OD but your tires only go up 4% the
larger the number of the overall ratio gear Ratio,
Trans Ratio, and Tire correction the better shot you
have of pulling all the other drags.wmts

XXL

Quoting Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>:

> Good question Bill..... the current answer is that
the Peak Torque is the
> same as the Peak HP.... right around 8300 rpm.....
and the motor freely
> spins above that number.... drops off about 35hp at
8700 rpm....

> Were going back in the morning to work on the peak
torque number.... it's
> not real impressive right now.....

get
> > this done and I bet it will not be in OD and I am
just
> > guessing ! wmts
> >

> > Quoting Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>:
> >
> > > Thought I would share the joy's of running a 9"
Vs a
> > quick change....
> > >
> > > I have been waiting on a dyno sheet to start
> > selecting the right gear for
> > > speedweek..... keep in mind I have the axle's out
and
> > the Driveshaft out so
> > > it's an easy time to swap them out.
> > >
> > > The motor makes it Peak power at 8300rpm (
correction
> > from previous post )
> > > So we are looking to spin it around 8600rpm or
so....

> > > we have 3.25 gears as well as 3.07's..... and
three
> > sets of tires ranging
> > > from 26" .... 27".... and 28"
> > >
> > > There are Two ways to play this game
mathmatically...
> > both of which are
> > > accurate and can cross check each other.....
> > >
> > > 1.  Finding MPH
> > >
> > > Rpm X tire height in Inches  divided by 336...
> > divided by the gear...
> > >
> > > for example.... 8500rpm X 26" = 221000 divided by
336
> > = 657.73 divided by
> > > 3.25 = 202mph   then we could pitch the Overdrive
> > into the fray by dividing
> > > that 202mph by the .91 OD which would give us an
> > output speed of 222.393
> > > mph...... this just happens to be 3mph faster then
> > the current record in
> > > the
> > > class.
> > >
> > > 2.  Finding  Rpm
> > >
> > > MPH X Gear ratio X 336  divided by tire hieght in
> > inches
> > >
> > > for example.... 225mph X 3.25 X 336 = 245700
divided
> > by 26" tire = 9450
> > > rpm
> > > Obviously a bit much till we X it by the OD of .91
> > which is 9450 X .91 =
> > > 8599.5 rpm
> > >
> > > So that gets you through the Gas record..... we
want
> > to consider the Fuel
> > > record as well.... as that is where are best
chances
> > are with a Motor
> > > designed to run on Nitrous Oxide.   the record is
> > 230mph in that class...
> > >
> > > Here is the challange ... come up with the best
> > combinations and the
> > > reason's why..... I think I have already decided
how
> > we are going to do it
> > > and Beleive it or not the example I just gave
isn't
> > the best combination in
> > > my Humble opinion..... thou it's not a bad
choice....
> > it just might not be
> > > the BEST choice as there are other things to
> > consider .... such as Drag
> > > associated with running in OD and the Tire size/
> > wheel bearing speed.
> > >
> > > I'll Give fella that comes up with the best
choice a