RE: Air Density

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: RE: Air Density
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:52:53 -0700
I would agree with both statements, though I suspect there is some threshold
where it becomes more apparent.  The faster you go the more the air density
vs. HP available would matter.  Interesting topic.  Do you guys use weather
stations during the event and track DA?

Did we ever decide whether the salt is damp early or late?

Dale C.

Hence it's my point that we have to evaluate which side of the equation
your car falls under..... look at my junk .... it's a brick....
aerodynamically and requires a bunch of HP to push..... the thicker the air
I have to push through the higher the HP requirement....... BUT if I run in
the Heat of the day.... the Density of that air is much Much less then it
is in the morning and the resistance to that air is again lower.....
requiring LESS power in the Heat of the day to push it down the course...at
any given speed.

Now if your Not running in the 200mph range maybe none of this is an issue
to you and the amount of Power required to run 125mph is a bigger factor
then my car.... who knows.....

Keith...( and if you think that Thing ain't called a BIG FAN.... wait till
it comes off and watch the pilot sweat!!! )

> Subject: Air Density
> Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 2:56 PM
>
> I can tell you about my air density situation trying to get a 747 off a
> short runway in Cairo in the middle of summer. Long story, but sucking
the
> landing gear up at the end of the runway was a little un-nerving.
> Hot, dry air is considerably less dense. And at the speeds were running
at
> Bonneville it makes a difference.

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..