Re: TowTruck transmission

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: TowTruck transmission
From: William T Smith <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:36:00 -0600 (MDT)
If you put the deep gears and put big Coolers on them
you stand a pretty good chance of making them live. The
weak points are the electronics most of the time the
heat dramatically shortens their life.
Just like automatics since the beginning of automatics -
-you have got to get rid of the heat.

wmts deep in the HOT of tx

Quoting DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>:

>       Ken, The other day I was at the local Chevy
dealership. I ran into the
> guy that owns a large local independent transmission
shop. I asked him
> "how is business?" He said " great as long as they
keep making these
> junk transmissions". He was there to take delivery on
his brand new
> corvette roadster with the $54,000 window sticker.
>       I have been doing automatics since 1969 myself
and I stopped doing the
> new ones because the rule of thumb in the business is
you have to charge
> three times the labor to cover the come backs you are
sure to get. I
> could go into detail about why they are junk but that
would take up
> pages.
>       The only trans GM makes that's worth a damn is
the 4L80. Its not legal
> to change yours over to that trans though, because
the computer won't
> run it right for the smog laws. I know guy that never
tow over 55 MPH
> and never in OD and still have lost the trans in less
than 50K miles.
>       Aint I just a breath of happy news? Doug Odom
in big ditch

> Ken Bond wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >

> > Transmission:  The trip cost me a transmission
rebuild and I found out
> why.
> >  I was pulling with a Chev truck with a 4L60E
transmission.  It so
> happens
> > that in over-drive, half of the fluid is diverted
from the cooler and
> > emptied back into the pan (to help gas milage as I
am told).  Anyway, it
> > appears to be a good idea NEVER to tow in OD with
one of the 4L60E trans
> as
> > in the 96 Chev. trucks.  (Later models have a lock
out button, but my
> truck
> > did not.)  I have also learned that you can replace
the converter clutch
> > valve with a different unit that directs ALL fluid
back through the
> cooler
> > and it is recommended if you drive at sustained
high speeds in over drive
> > with or without a trailer.
> > If I had known that before the trip, the plastic in
my wallet might not
> be
> > quite as hot.  I was using OD ONLY on flat and
downhill terrain and it
> was
> > still to much for the unit.  Bummer!
> >
> > I would be interested in others with a better
understanding of this issue

majordomo@autox.team.net