Fw: Air density and rolling resistance.

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Air density and rolling resistance.
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:12:25 -0500
It seems to me that the easiest way to measure coefficient of friction of
actual tires on salt is with a good accelerometer.  Maximum acceleration
(just before tire spin) could then be used to calculate friction from the
expression   G accel. = friction (%weight on driving wheels).
Some old literature gives a value of around 0.5 without saying what the tire
width is, but presumably the usual 3" Bonny tire by Firestone of those days.

The electrical devices measuring resistivity or conductivity would measure
the most conductive layer, but is that the water on top, or the solid
(saturated) salt below?

We have established that the fastest runs occur when rolling resistance is
lowest.  Couldn't this just be a function of how warmed up the wheel
bearings and rear end gears are?  You do see astute tuners heating their
rear ends in the morning with a torch or running the engine and turning the
wheels in gear with the rear jacked up.

Dave the Hayseed